BLE 09: Encrypted connection
This code set discoverable/connectable mode on Waspmote to allow connections from other BLE devices. Then wait during 30 seconds for incoming connections. If a connection is established, the connection is encrypted and then Waspmote keeps connected till the master ends the connection.
1 x Waspmote 1 x Battery 1 x Bluetooth Low Energy module 1 x Bluetooth module antenna 1 x Expansion board (if socket 1 is used) 1 x SD card 1 x BLE node to act as master (can be another Waspmote + BLE module or a smartphone).
- Socket 0 is used by default - EEPROM is used in this example by default. - Never unplug module while Waspmote is turned ON. - Bluetooth module antenna should be connected. - The battery must be connected in ANY example. - This example can be executed in Waspmote v12 and Waspmote v15
* ------------------ [BLE_09] - Encrypted connection --------
* Explanation: this code set discoverable/connectable mode on Waspmote to
* allow connections from other BLE devices. Then wait during 30 seconds for
* incoming connections. If a connection is established, the connection is
* encrypted andthen Waspmote keeps connected till the master ends the connection.
* Copyright (C) 2016 Libelium Comunicaciones Distribuidas S.L.
* This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
* it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
* the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
* (at your option) any later version.
* This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
* but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
* MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS ARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
* GNU General Public License for more details.
* You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
* along with this program. If not, see .
* Version: 1.0
* Design: David Gascón
* Implementation: Javier Siscart
// Variable to store function returning values
uint8_t flag = 0;
// 0. Turn BLE module ON
// 1. make Waspmote visible to other BLE modules
// 2. make Waspmote connectable to any other BLE device
USB.println(F("Waiting for incoming connections..."));
/* 3. wait for connection status event during 30 seconds. connection status event structure:
Field: | Message type | Payload| Msg Class | Msg ID | Connection | Flags |...
Length: | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1 |...
Example: | 80 | 10 | 03 | 00 | 00 | 05 |...
...| address | address type | con interval | timeout | latency | bonding |
...| 6 | 1 | 2 | 2 | 2 | 1 |
...| bf9e78800700 | 00 | 3c00F | 6400 | 0000 | 00 |
flag = BLE.waitEvent(30000);
if (flag == BLE_EVENT_CONNECTION_STATUS)
USB.println(F("Now Waspmote is connected as slave."));
// 3.1 Parse the status event to find MAC of master device who initiated the connection.
// NOTE: The event captured is stored in BLE.event array.
uint8_t b = 5;
for(uint8_t a = 0; a < 6 ; a++)
BLE.BLEDev.mac[a] = BLE.event[b+6];
// 3.2 Print MAC of the Master device.
USB.print(F("MASTER MAC Address: "));
for(uint8_t i =0; i<6; i++)
// 3.3 Encrypt the connection. Handle is 0 by default.
if (BLE.encryptConnection(0) == 0)
USB.println(F("Error encryting connection"));
// 3.4 now wait to other events forever. If disconnection is detected, exit loop.
flag = 0;
while(flag != BLE_EVENT_CONNECTION_DISCONNECTED)
// if disconnected event, then exist the loop and start again.
// Possible disconnection event: 80 03 03 04 00 13 02
flag = BLE.waitEvent(1000);
if (flag != 0)
USB.print("flag = ");
// NOTE: here the user can add custom actions depending on the received envent.
// 4. if here, disconnected.
if (flag == 0)
// If there are no events, then no one tried to connect Waspmote
USB.println(F("No events found. No devices tried to connect Waspmote."));
// Other event received from BLE module
USB.print(F("Other event found. "));
USB.print("flag = ");
Waiting for incoming connections...
Now Waspmote is connected as slave.
MASTER MAC Address: CCC3EA6FA4B5
Last modified 2yr ago