This guide explains the features and use of the new 4G module. This module was specifically integrated for our new product lines Waspmote v15, Plug & Sense! v15 and Meshlium v4.0, released on October 2016. The 4G module is not compatible Waspmote v12, Plug & Sense! v12 or Meshlium 3.x.
If you are using previous versions of our products, please use the corresponding guides, available on our Development website.
You can get more information about the generation change on the document “New generation of Libelium product lines”. The 4G module has been integrated into the devices Waspmote OEM, Plug & Sense! and Meshlium.
The new 4G module enables the connectivity to high speed LTE, HSPA+, WCDMA cellular networks in order to make possible the creation of the next level of worldwide compatible projects inside the new "Internet of Things" era.
The new communication module is specially oriented to work with Internet servers, implementing internally several application layer protocols, which make easier to send the information to the cloud. We can make HTTP navigation, downloading and uploading content to a web server. We can also set secure connections using SSL certificates and setting TCP/IP private sockets. In the same way, the FTP protocol is also available which is really useful when your application requires handling files.
The new 4G module offers the maximum performance of the 4G network as it uses 2 different antennas (normal + diversity) for reception (MIMO DL 2x2), choosing the best received signal at any time and getting a maximum download speed of 100 Mbps.
We chose the LE910 chipset family from Telit as it comprises the most complete 4G/LTE set of variants released up to date. It counts with many different models, each one specifically designed for one market but all of them with the same footprint:
- LE910-EUG (Europe / Brazil): CE, GCF, ANATEL
- LE910-NAG (US / Canada): FCC, IC, PTCRB, AT&T approved
- LE910-AU V2 (Australia): RCM, Telstra approved
Important note: The current stock of the LE910 4G radio that the manufacturer 'Telit' is distributing comprises the v2 version which does not have GPS. The models are:
- LE910-EU V2 for Europe or Brazil
- LE910-NA V2 for US or Canada
These v2 radios are similar to the v1 ones, but support more bands and do not have a GPS receiver.
- All documents and any examples they contain are provided as-is and are subject to change without notice. Except to the extent prohibited by law, Libelium makes no express or implied representation or warranty of any kind with regard to the documents, and specifically disclaims the implied warranties and conditions of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose.
- The information on Libelium's websites has been included in good faith for general informational purposes only. It should not be relied upon for any specific purpose and no representation or warranty is given as to its accuracy or completeness.